Jordan rules out allowing US to launch any military action against Iran: Report
Jordanian officials hope ongoing US-Iran negotiations would result in political agreement that can prevent larger regional conflict, reports The New York Times
By Laith Al-Junaidi
AMMAN, Jordan (AA)—Jordan on Saturday ruled out allowing its territory to be used as a launch point for any military action against Iran, officials told The New York Times, as regional tensions mount alongside negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear program.
US aircraft and military assets stationed in the kingdom are deployed under a long-standing defense cooperation framework with Washington, not as part of preparations for offensive action, Jordanian officials told the newspaper, discussing operational matters on condition of anonymity.
The officials hoped that ongoing US-Iran negotiations would yield a political agreement capable of averting a broader regional conflict.
In recent weeks, officials in Amman, as well as in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, have publicly supported diplomatic efforts and signaled that their countries would not permit attacks on Iran to be launched from their soil, according to the report.
The remarks come amid a significant US military buildup across the Middle East. The New York Times reported that adjustments at a base in Jordan form part of a wider reinforcement of American forces in the region.
On Friday, President Donald Trump said he was considering a limited military strike to pressure Iran into reaching a “meaningful” agreement, while emphasizing that diplomacy remains the preferred path.
Jordan signed a defense cooperation agreement with the US in 2021, granting American forces access to 15 designated sites in the kingdom. The arrangement allows US military personnel to carry weapons while performing official duties.
Switzerland on Tuesday hosted the second round of indirect talks between Washington and Tehran in Geneva, following an earlier session in Muscat earlier this month.
* Writing by Tarek Chouiref
Kaynak:
This news has been read 64 times in total

Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.